How-To Plan Data (Data Architecture)
This course is designed to provide students with an in-depth understanding of the data architecture principles defined by the DAMA Data Management Body of Knowledge (DMBoK).
Data Architecture Management as defined by the DMBoK:
“Data Architecture Management is the process of defining and maintaining specifications that:
- Provide a standard common business vocabulary,
- Express strategic data requirements,
- Outline high level integrated designs to meet these requirements, and
- Align with enterprise strategy and related business architecture.
Data architecture is an integrated set of specification artefacts used to define data requirements, guide integration and control of data assets, and align data investments with business strategy. It is also an integrated collection of master blueprints at different levels of abstraction. Data architecture includes formal data names, comprehensive data definitions, effective data structures, precise data integrity rules, and robust data documentation.
Data architecture is most valuable when it supports the information needs of the entire enterprise. Enterprise data architecture enables data standardization and integration across the enterprise. This chapter will focus on enterprise data architecture, although the same techniques apply to the more limited scope of a specific function or department within an organization.
Enterprise data architecture is part of the larger enterprise architecture, where data architecture integrates with other business and technology architecture. Enterprise architecture integrates data, process, organization, application, and technology architecture. It helps organizations manage change and improve effectiveness, agility, and accountability.
The course will practically work through the goals, activities and deliverables of the Data Architecture Management Knowledge Area.
The activities defined for Data Architecture Management are:
- Understand Enterprise Information Needs
- Develop and Maintain the Enterprise Data Model
- Analyse and Align with other Business Models
- Define and Maintain the Data Technology Architecture
- Define and Maintain the Data Integration Architecture
- Define and Maintain the DQ/BI Architecture
- Define the Enterprise Taxonomies and Namespaces
- Define and Maintain the Meta-Data Architecture
In practically, working through the activities, from start to finish we will examine how we make use of the various inputs to produce the outputs required for each activity. As part of the process we will examine the following important aspects of Data Architecture:
- Input Roles & Responsibilities
- Output Assessment & Measurement
- Artefact Communication and Presentation
15-19 March 2021
21-25 June 2021
27 September – 1 October 2021
Cost excl. VAT