This symbol conveys the idea that
- A wise person has the capacity to choose the best means to attain a goal.
- Being wise implies broad knowledge, learning and experience and the ability to apply such faculties to practical ends.
- A person must have profound insight and intelligence to truly understand the meanings of their actions.
The word “Velisa” has Xhosa derivations and means “bringing to light that which was previously hidden”.
We see both of these components as a clear symbol of our organisation and of our values:
- The inter-twining of wisdom and compassion
- The union of wisdom and method
- The knot has no beginning or end, so continuous learning